Thursday 23 June 2011

A Small Slice of Paradise.


Well, I can sometimes feel very hopeful about the veg patch at this time of year, but come the rainy 'summer', the gargantuan slugs, high winds, not to mention the rogue local sheep, many crops are scuppered before the end of the season.

However, ever the optimist, I am still feeling hopeful this year.

My broad beans plants, although somewhat underwhelming by normal standards are the strongest and healthiest looking plants I've managed to grow on my tiny, stoney, slice of Yorkshire paradise in the three seasons I've been here.

My curly kale is flourishing and the nasturtiums are beginning to fill their basket nicely (believe it or not I have previously had problems growing nasturtiums for a salad crop..... They're virtually a weed, most people are trying to tame their vast clouds of orange blooms, but not me.) Mr Hungry's potoato sacks are looking plentiful and the pots of herbs are all looking fabulous (we have an incredible little taragon plant that has survived two winters in a broken pot, so we have potted him on this year to award his plucky determination to survive and he's now thriving), any spare inch has a healthy looking radish fighting for space. I have even got some tomato plants growing in the greenhouse, but this may be a step too far for my less than green fingers.

So, with no up coming holidays to look forward to I should be able to turn my attention to the plot's potential, hopeful for a bountiful harvest.

No comments:

Post a Comment