Monday 18 April 2011

Move over Sarah Nelson- Hungry Lady's Gingerbread

Well, after saying perhaps I should leave the Grasmere Gingerbread experience to the experts I just couldn't help myself and have tried to re create Sarah Nelsons Grasmere Gingerbread.

I found a recipe but couldn't help but alter it along the way. And am already thinking of improvements before it is even out of the oven!

I mixed together 125g Oatmeal, 125g Plain Wholemeal Flour, 2tsps Ground Ginger, 1tsp Bi-carb, 1tsp Cream of Tartar, 125g Muscovado Sugar, 3balls Stem Ginger- finely chopped in a large bowl. Then added 175g melted Butter and 1tbspn Golden Syrup.

Spread out in a lined swiss roll tin, and bake at Gas4/ 180c for 30mins, until golden brown. Mark into pieces whilst still warm and leave to cool in the tin.

In hindsight, i would like to try rubbing the butter into the flour and oatmeal to start with, i feel like i might be able to control the fianl texture better this way. The real G Gingerbread has a crumbley texture, a loose layer on top, which is part of the appeal.

I'll keep you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment